FLW Tour Rule Test Results (All Boats Must have POV Camera)
FLW becomes the 1st major tournament to require anglers to have a POV camera on board recording every fish catch. Click on this link, then click on Tournament Rules, and check out #12.
Hi, this is Christian the founder of YOLOtek. My team and I feel in the next few years, more and more tournaments at every level will require POV cameras on board for the following three reasons:
1. TRUST (video of every fish catch)
Money, even small amounts, make people do bad things like cheat. Having a POV camera eliminates any doubt that the angler caught the fish. Also, POV cameras have GPS built-in and if required to be turned on would confirm the fish were caught in legal areas.
Example: A few weeks ago, the Big Bass Blast on Lake of the Ozarks Missouri 1st Place bass 6.82lbs. won $100,000 and 2nd Place bass 6.81lbs. was $20,000. The winner, Oliver Ngy of California had the fish catch on video, so there was NO doubt he caught the fish. Having video is awesome.
2. PROTECT SPONSORS (ensure they are not part of a bad situation)
Sponsors will want to mitigate (lower) their risk, as no sponsor wants to learn they backed with a tournament that did not verify all fish were caught legally.
3. SAFETY & SECURITY
From boat accidents to folks saying the angler did something illegal to folks pulling guns, POV cameras can help law enforcement determine what happened.
We worked closely with FLW to ensure all their pros are ready for the new season and new POV requirement. Let us know if you have any questions and now check out the testing. You will also find our 1st Place & 2nd Place winners with links to purchasing the products you need to get going.
...RULE #12 TESTING & RESULTS...
YOLOtek is the Official Power Mount Provider for FLW, so we have worked closely with them testing four POV cameras that make up a lot of the market:
All tests completed on PowerStick-53"Gen2 powered GoPro / VIRB boat mount. Click here to see the actual product.
• GoPro Hero 7 Black
• GoPro Hero 5 Black
• Garmin VIRB XE
• Garmin VIRB Ultra30.
(Garmin provided the VIRB cameras to make sure all their FLW pros were ready.)
3. Record at least 9 hours straight.
4. SanDisk Ultra 256gb SD card
YOLOtek completed all the testing with 1080p30fps with ALL FEATURES TURNED OFF. We also tested with GPS turned ON in case that ever becomes a requirement and WiFi turned ON, as anglers like having connectivity.
ALL POV cameras tested PASSED 100% (tested a minimum of 10 times each)
• GoPro Hero 7 Black (The only camera that the manufacturer supports 256gb cards, but they do recommend a different card.)
Result: PASS 100% average record time 17 hours 6 minutes Temp never higher than 123
• GoPro Hero 5 Black
Result: PASS 100% average record time 17 hours 18 minutes Temp never higher than 118
• Garmin VIRB Ultra30 (user does have to drill hole in the case or get the new power mount with 30 feet of cord.)
Result: PASS 100% average record time 16 hours 3 minutes Temp never higher than 121
• Garmin VIRB XE
Result: PASS 100% average record time 16 hours 8 minutes Temp never higher than 115
Cameras NOT tested…
• GoPro Hero 7 Silver – based on the results we believe the Hero 7 Silver will pass the tests as well. (This model does not support LOOPING, which is our customers #1 request.)
• GoPro Hero 7 White – based on the results we believe the Hero 7 White will pass the tests as well. (This model does not support LOOPING, which is our customers #1 request.)
• GoPro Hero 4 Silver – we need your help. Become the first to test this camera and we have some YOLOtek gear for you. Just call us 800-488-5512 (This model DOES support LOOPING.)
• GoPro Hero 6 Black – based on the results we believe the Hero 6 will pass the tests as well.
• Garmin VIRB X – based on the results we believe the VIRB X will pass the tests as well.
Team YOLOtek is always here to help you catch video of your once-in-a-lifetime moments and make cool videos quickly, so you can focus on your adventures!