FAQ / How To
YOLOtek is here to be your personal resource for everything it takes to capture once-in-a-lifetime moments. We have met hundreds of people that thought they had the biggest fish catch of their lives on video to find out later that the GoPro batteries were dead or something else. Our goal is to share tips, tricks and techniques from within and also share them from you. Please send anything you think will help others to: FAQ@YOLOtek.com and we will give you credit. Also, feel free to call us anytime if you have questions on Tips & Tricks, how to set-up your GoPro or other action camera or anything else...
Call now! 800-488-5512.
Q: Can I use POWERLight in my front navlight port at night?
A: Yes, as long as you are using your trolling motor. US Coast Guard 33 CFR 83 states that... If your power-driven vessel is less than 23 feet (7 meters) in length and its maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots, then it may display an all-round white light – So you can use the POWERLight in your front navlight port while fishing at night with trolling motor (White light on back and not use the red/green up front.
Q: How can I quickly make a video from my GoPro or other action camera?
A: This is as easy at 1-2-3
1. CONSTANT POWER: Use POWERStick-53" to provide constant power to your GoPro or other action camera.
2. LOOPING: Every GoPro and action camera has "Looping" built-in. Once you set-up 5 minute Looping (click on this link and play video or call us) you can save only the good video. So if you are out for 5 hours and catch 3 fish; you will have three 5 minute videos... and the GoPro actually breaks this down to five 1-minute videos each. So you can connect your phone to the GoPro and download the 3 action shots to your phone or to your computer at home. Whichever is easier.
3. QUIK APP by GoPro: Then you can open the Quik app by GoPro on your phone or computer and select the three 1-minute videos. The Quik app will create the video for you in a matter of seconds. You can choose the theme and make changes. Then you can upload them to Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter or anywhere you want! Want more control, there are a lot of software apps you can choose from. Check them out or give us a call to help you select the one right for you.
Q: How do I get power to my GoPro Hero 5 or 6 Black while filming on my POWERStick-53" by YOLOtek?
A: GoPro Hero 5 & 6 do work GREAT with our products. GoPro design them to go into the Karma Drone & Karma Grip, so you have to remove the power door. This is simple, but a little strange for the first time. Basically you...
1. Take the GoPro Hero 5/6 out of the Frame (camera mount)
2. Open the power door like you do at home to charge the camera
3. Pop off the power door
4. Re-insert the GoPro back into the Frame.
Here is a video to show you how to remove the power door, so you can power while filming. https://youtu.be/JziIC34ucRc
Q: Will YOLOtek products work with my GoPro, other action camera, or 360 cam?
A: YES!!!! WORKS WITH... EVERY GOPRO EVER MADE & OTHER ACTION CAM TOO!!! With 1/4"-20 thread standard tripod mount on top of ALL our sticks, rest assured you can mount any action camera!
- GoPro Hero 5 Black (Yes, the brand new one. Works great! See Tip: #1 below on how to remove power door to power while filming.)
- GoPro Hero 5 Session
- GoPro Hero 4 Black/Silver & Hero 4 Session
- GoPro Hero 3, 3+, +, Yep, we work with your GoPro
- Works with EVERY action camera ever made! VIRB, iON, Wasp, etc.
Q: How Much will this Draw on my Cranking Battery?
A: VERY LITTLE DRAW! We understand how VITAL it is for you to maintain high charge battery level. YOLOtek products were designed to leave your battery alone! Because we are downing 12v to 5v for USB, we are barely touching your battery. Examples:
- GoPro Hero 5 Black, plugged into top USB port 1.2 amp, recording at 1080p for 10 hours will take your battery from 12.8 to 12.6.
- POWERLight, plugged into top USB port 1.2 amp, running on high will take your battery from 12.8 to 12.5.
In 40% of our tests a naked battery [battery that has nothing attached] will draw down from 12.8 to 12.6 in 10 hours. So, YES your battery will not be an issue with our products! :)
Q: Why is POWERStick-53" such a sought after product by everyone?
A: Because it contains high end electronics and other features:
1) Over Voltage Protection
2) Shortage Protection
3) Over Heat Protection
4) Surge Protection
5) Over Charge Protection
...and the biggie
6) Polarity Correction (LED & USB require polarity. POWERStick-53" has a chip in it that corrects the polarity if plugged in backwards or if you buy a used boat and someone reversed the navlight wiring... POWERStick-53" just works!
7) USB 2.1 Fast Charging on top and 1.0 on bottom with USB covers when it rains***
8) Ball & Joint Mount for flexibility and lots of POV's (points of view)
9) Aircraft Grade Anodized Aluminum
10) Dual Channels for strength
11) Instant Locking Tabs to quickly adjust the heigth for each section
12) Adjustable Hand Grip - move to where you want and it stays
13) Multiple Locking Collars (Standard Cam/Non-Thread, Large Threaded & Adjustable Guide Screw for Atwood and other non-locking collar navlight ports) No matter which boat or navlight port you have, we got you covered!
14) 3-Hole Base Plug for compatibility with all 2-pin & *3-pin navlight ports
15) Spring Connectors within base plug ensure constant contact for power
Q: Are there any warnings for any of the products?
- Never use POWERStick-53" in place of navigation lights.
- Never plug anything into POWERStick-53" in wet conditions, unless you are using our Silicone Rainproof Putty, as it may cause damage to itself or electronics.
- Always close tight rubber USB covers when not in use, unless using Silicone Rainproof Putty.
- Always compress sections for high speed.
- Silicone Rainproof Putty sold separately to make splash proof while in use.
- Salt Water: We highly recommend Silicone Rainproof Putty. When coming off the water, rinse everything with fresh water, but of course do not allow water to enter the USB ports of our powered stick or your GoPro.
- Do not over tighten ball and joint. Ball and joint were NOT designed to be completely locked down such as RAM mount. This design allows you to quickly adjust your GoPro to other points of view. After you reach max tightness (1 to 2 turns), the more you turn the knob the less tight the ball becomes. GripKit available to make the ball and joint more tight.
- Always use common sense when using all our products. Filming on the water, particularly rough water can be dangerous for you, your boat, YOLOtek gear and your GoPro or other action camera.
- Non-Threaded Locking Collar: If your navlight port uses a Non-Threaded Locking Collar or CAM lock or Pressure Lock, be sure to turn the locking collar until it comes to a full locked position. If you NEVER reach a locked position and can turn the locking collar 360 degrees, then it is NOT LOCKED DOWN and you should NOT RUN FAST! Consider replacing the port with the Attwood Easy Lock or Perko Threaded navlight port rated for up to 70MPH.
Q: Will POWERStick-53" & POWERStick-10" work with 3-pin navlight ports?
A: Yes, but some front navlight ports with 3-pin may need a simple rewire of the port. Just send an email to: 3PIN@YOLOtek.com or call us at 800-488-5512 and we will send your the simple diagram to walk you through it.
Q: WHAT SPEED ARE THE LOCKING COLLARS RATE FOR?
A: Threaded Locking Collar & Guide Screw NavLight Ports are rated up to 70MPH in calm water. (Navlight ports that don't use a locking collar and have a built-in cover - Always make sure cover is over Guide Screw to lock it down.)
Standard/Non-Thread Locking Collar rated up to 50MPH in smooth/calm water. Want to go 70MPH in calm water? Replace a standard CAMLock/No-thread navlight port with Attwood Easy Lock NavLight Port, click here for details.
Compress sections while running.
If you are using our Silicone Rainproof Putty, then you are fine. If you are NOT using our Silicone Rainproof Putty follow these instructions when it rains... 1) unplug all power cords, 2) close the USB covers tightly, 3) place your GoPro or other action camera into a waterproof housing, mount back on POWERStick-53" & turn off power to your navlight port. (Green light will extinguish.) Once the rain stops you may hook power up again.
WHAT ADDITIONAL ACCESSORIES ARE THERE FOR POWERStick-53"?
1. POWERKit-12" contains (1) POWERCase & (1) POWERCord-12" to power your adventures! POWERCase is an open side case for GoPro Hero 3, 3+ & 4. POWERCord-12" is a 4-in-1 USB power cord. The POWERKit is the perfect addition to the POWERStick-53". Or get either POWERCase or POWERCord-12" separately...
2. POWERCase, is an open side case for GoPro Hero 3, 3+ & 4, so you can power/charge your GoPro, VIRB, or iON all day long. Similar to GoPro Skeleton that sells for 67% more than POWERCase.
3. POWERCord-12", is a 4-in-1 USB cord. Standard USB on one side and USB-Mini, USB-Micro, USB-C & Apple Lighting. About 12" long, just perfect to plug in and power/charge any action camera or phone you have.
4. SILICONE RAINPROOF PUTTY - just Seal-it & Forget-it! The fastest way to Rainproof/Dustproof your POWERStick-53" & POWERCase. Simply roll it out and wrap it around your power cord into the powered stick and stuff into the open side GoPro case to prevent water from coming in during rain or spray while you are running.
5. POWERLight-SOLO - Perfect Addition to POWERStick-53"... This is a product you will "NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU LIVED WITHOUT IT!" POWERLight-SOLO fits right on top of POWERStick-53" & Lights-UP the Deck of your boat & Truck too! Perfect for early morning rigging before you hit the water. Also perfect when you pull your boat off the water and have 22 rods all jacked-up and so much stuff to put away. It is the ONLY light that allows you to naturally tie on a lure/leader. Adjustable beam for Spot Light & Flood Light capabilities. 5 Settings: High, Medium, Low, Strobe & S.O.S. just in case of an emergency out on the water. Brilliant white light with so many lumens you won't know what to do.
Tip #1: GET POWERED!
Use POWERStick-53” to power/charge your GoPro so you never have to worry about your battery dying again. Also, it's a secure mount and the ONLY Powered GoPro Mount Designed for Your Boat. Just like having a "Cameraman" on your boat, so you can focus on fishing!
Click Here to Learn More
Tip #2: LOOPING (Source: Oliver Ny of Big Bass Dreams)
Eliminate SD Card Storage Problems & Make Post Editing Fast! Now that you have constant power to your GoPro with POWERStick-53", you might think that your SD card will fill up. Not with the LOOPING feature built right into your GoPro, VIRB or other action camera. Save only the "good" video with Looping!
Tip #3: FRAME THE SHOT...
Q: Where should I aim my @GoPro* on my #POWERStick53inch?
A: AIM at YOUR CHEST... no matter if it is in your rear navlight port or front navlight port and you are speaking into the camera - a safe bet is aiming at your chest.
B: CASTING... Aim the camera about 2 feet in front of your chest towards where you are casting. Use your trolling motor to position the boat to keep your cast within the approx. 135 degrees the camera will capture.
C: RUNNING SHOT: Aim at the front of the boat. Most will try to point the GoPro straight ahead, but that will crop out a lot of the console. You want the viewer to be able to see some of the boat behind your seat to get the full perspective and feel like they are in the boat with you. Also, try turning the camera around and getting the rooster tail and what you see behind your boat.
D: BE DIFFERENT: Try lots of different POV (point of view) to keep your viewer engaged. Try lowering the stick down for a great up angle or aimed directly at your cast point and everything in-between. Try it all and have fun!
Tip #4a: JUST POST IT!
Just POST some video. No matter if you use GoPro, VIRB, a 360 camera or your phone… You don’t have to be Steven Spielberg and spend 4 to 12 hours making a perfect video… just pick ONE social platform (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, etc) & POST some video. Start with posting short videos. Once you hit a lot of followers on YouTube you will want to make them over 10 minutes to make more money, but that is LATER. For now… Just POST some video every day you can!
Tip #4b: PICK ONE SOCIAL PLATFORM
Q: Should I post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other social sites?
A: Pick one social platform and post often. If you can do that quickly, then maybe pick a 2nd social platform. Better to do one really well, then three half-assed. Yep, we said it!
If your goals is to get exposure, then Facebook is good as it is easily shared. Instagram is good exposure too but harder to share. If your goal is to get hundreds of thousands of followers and try to replace your income to go full-time making videos, then YouTube is probably the answer. (Generating over $40k per year is still rare and normally takes years.) By then you will be able to handle 3 or 4 social channels.
Tip #5: END YOUR VIDEO ON A GREAT SHOT!
Some videos posted just seem to end when the film ran out. Maybe end with the best clip of video in the entire video or an inspiring written message. This is your passion, so show and tell what it means to you so the viewer can really feel it.
Tip #6: JUST LICK-IT
Worried about water spots on your GoPro, VIRB or other action camera lens while you are flying down the water or in rainy conditions… JUST LICK-IT! Yes, just lick the outside lens cover! Actually, lick-it twice. This will put a thin layer of saliva over the housing and water will bead off. If you notice a bead of water on the lens cover, lick-it again. You can buy product that will do something similar and sure they work well, but if you find yourself out there and want to make sure you #DontMissTheShot – Just LICK YOUR GoPro/VIRB/WASP or other Action Camera LENS!
Tip #7 TIME TO UPGRADE YOUR GOPRO, VIRB or other Action Cam?
There are a few ways to “Upgrade”. 1st is the Craigslist upgrade. Did you know your Hero 4 Silver can be sold for $275 on Craigslist, Hero 5 Black is only $399 & soon holiday specials could take $50 off or get free SD cards… Basically a $100 upgrade for a camera that has great audio, waterproof without a case & VOICE COMMAND. And gives the buyer a great GoPro at a discount to film their adventures.
2nd way is GoPro.com occasionally has a TradeUp program, great if your GoPro doesn’t work at all. Or you could keep your old GoPro around for a 2nd shot and get a used GoPro Hero 4 Session for $99 on Craigslist or eBay. Having two different shots makes the viewers experience better, but start slow and build-up. Any questions, feel free to call us anytime at 800-488-5512. We are always happy to help!
Tip #8: GOPRO RESOLUTION & FRAME RATE
Q-WHAT RESOLUTION & FRAME RATE SHOULD I RECORD AT ON MY GOPRO/VIRB/PHONE?
A-The answer is it depends on what you want the final video to look like. If you are not sure start at 1080p 60fps and test other settings. Setting up Looping on your GoPro/VIRB or other action cam will allow you to only save the “good” video and save you lots of space on SD cards and hard drives. See “Set-up Looping” video at YOLOtek.com
--RESOLUTION: 1080 is great for normal video. If you want to zoom into a fish jump while editing, you can zoom in about 2 feet before the video gets choppy. If you film at 2.7k, then you can zoom in about 30-40% or much closer than 1080 and 4K you can zoom in even more…. But the file sizes can get very large, so play with this. Again, Looping helps save space on SD cards and computer hard drives.
--FPS (frames per second) 30fps is good for normal video, but if you want slow-motion for a fish jump then set your GoPro/VIRB to 60fps. Super slo-mo is 120fps & now Hero 6 shoots in 240fps. BUT the file size grows as you are saving more frames, so again testing is important.
The good news is, if you are using “Looping” and only saving the “good” video, then file size won’t impact you as much. Shoot at the resolution and frame rate for what you are wanting the person watching the video to see. If you have questions, we are here. Just call 800-488-5512 and we can walk you through setting it up.
Tip #9: WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY TO CREATE AND SHARE VIDEOS WHEN I'M STILL OUT ON THE WATER?
A-GoPro Quik app for Android & iOS. Super easy to create and share videos AUTOMATICALLY. Just select a few different videos and let Quik do the work.
---- end ----
Please send anything you think will help others to: Tips@YOLOtek.com and we will give you credit. Tight lines! Team YOLOtek